Moving to a new location like Bend, Oregon, can be an exciting adventure, but it also requires careful planning, especially when it comes to setting up essential utilities. Here’s a comprehensive checklist to help you ensure that all your basic public utilities are in place when you move to Bend.
- Set-Up: Contact Pacific Power before your move-in date to set up an account.
- Energy Options: Consider renewable energy options if interested.
- Billing: Understand the billing cycle and payment options.
- Outage Information: Learn how to report power outages to the utility company.
- Account Registration: Establish your account early with Cascade Natural Gas.
- Safety Information: Familiarize yourself with gas safety and emergency procedures.
- Energy Efficiency Programs: Check for available rebates or energy-saving programs.
3. Water and Sewer
- Account Set-Up: Ensure water and sewer services with the City of Bend are transferred to your name.
- Conservation Tips: Learn about water conservation methods suitable for Bend’s climate.
- Billing and Rates: Understand the water and sewer rates and payment schedules.
4. Garbage and Recycling
- Service Selection: Choose a local waste management service provider based on your location.
- Schedule: Know the pickup schedule for garbage, recycling, and yard debris.
- Recycling Guidelines: Understand what can and cannot be recycled in Bend.
Bend is dedicated to environmental stewardship, evident in its robust recycling programs. The city encourages residents to reduce waste and recycle effectively, guided by comprehensive guidelines on what can and cannot be recycled. Bend’s curbside recycling service accepts a wide range of materials, including paper, cardboard, plastics, and metals, promoting easy and efficient recycling practices. Additionally, the city hosts special recycling events for electronics, hazardous waste, and bulky items, reflecting its commitment to responsible waste management. Educational resources and community outreach programs further reinforce the culture of recycling in Bend, emphasizing the importance of sustainability in preserving the natural beauty of the region.
5. Internet and Cable
- Service Packages: Compare internet and cable packages from different providers such as BendBroadband and CenturyLink.
- Installation: Schedule installation dates and be aware of any setup fees.
- Customer Support: Keep contact information for tech support.
- Service Plans: Choose a plan from landline and mobile providers that meets your needs and budget.
- Coverage: Ensure good coverage in Bend and surrounding areas.
- International Calling: Consider plans with international calling options if needed.
7. Home Security
- Security Systems: Explore different home security systems and monitoring services offered by local security companies.
- Installation: Coordinate installation dates with your moving schedule.
- Emergency Services: Know how to contact local emergency services.
8. Heating and Cooling
- Maintenance Check: Schedule a maintenance check for your heating and cooling systems.
- Efficiency Tips: Learn how to optimize your HVAC system for Bend’s climate.
- Emergency Repair Services: Have a list of emergency HVAC repair services.
9. Lawn and Garden Maintenance
- Lawn Care: Set up regular lawn care services if necessary.
- Gardening: Understand the local climate and soil for landscaping and gardening.
- Watering Restrictions: Be aware of any local watering restrictions.
- Routes and Schedules: Familiarize yourself with the local bus routes and schedules of public transportation.
- Biking: Learn about bike-friendly paths and local biking laws.
- Parking: Understand parking regulations in Bend.
Electric vehicle (EV) usage in Bend reflects the city’s growing commitment to sustainability and environmental consciousness. Known for its outdoor recreation opportunities and eco-friendly community, Bend has seen a significant increase in EV adoption. This trend aligns with Oregon’s overall push towards cleaner transportation options. To support this shift, Bend has been actively expanding its network of EV charging stations. These stations are strategically located throughout the city for convenience, including public places like shopping centers, municipal parking lots, and near popular tourist destinations. Additionally, some residential communities and workplaces have installed private charging stations, further encouraging EV usage.
The city’s charging infrastructure includes various types of chargers, from Level 2 chargers, ideal for longer parking durations, to fast-charging stations for quick top-ups. This growing network ensures that EV drivers in Bend have reliable access to charging, making electric vehicles a practical and environmentally friendly choice for both residents and visitors.
- Research: Thoroughly research all utility providers and compare services.
- Budgeting: Allocate funds in your budget for utility deposits and initial setup costs and closely monitor your utility bills.
- Documentation: Keep all your utility setup documentation organized and easily accessible for future reference.
- City Resources: Utilize city resources and websites for up-to-date information on utilities.
- Neighbor Insights: Ask neighbors or local community groups for recommendations and tips about utility services in Bend.
- Emergency Preparedness: Create an emergency plan, including how to deal with utility outages.
- Sustainability: Investigate sustainable and eco-friendly options for utilities and services.
- Discounts and Assistance Programs: Check if you are eligible for any discounts or assistance programs for utilities.
- Regular Reviews: Periodically review your utility usage and costs to ensure you are getting the best deals and using resources efficiently.
- Community Involvement: Engage in community discussions or initiatives about utilities and public services to stay informed and involved.
By following this checklist, you can smoothly transition into your new home in Bend, Oregon, with all necessary utilities set up and ready to go. Remember to address each point well in advance of your move to avoid any last-minute hassles or disruptions. Welcome to Bend!