We’ve heard Bend called things like, “A mini-Portland but friendlier” and “Like California but without the bad.” It’s no wonder so many are interested in making the center of Central Oregon home! And while Bend continues to grow, it’s still an ideal place for those looking to make a new home. Here are our top 10 reasons for moving to Bend.
1. Entrepreneurs and Startups Love It Here: Bend has been a hotspot for years for entrepreneurs with big ideas, those looking to start their own businesses, tech startups, and everything in between. The community loves these new enterprises and happily gives them a shot!
2. The Beer Scene is Probably the Best in the Country: We don’t say that lightly! Bend has more breweries per capita than any other place in the country, and they are all busy churning out excellent new beverages to try. If beer isn’t your scene, there’s also a thriving group of cannabis stores with products and flower for all lifestyles.
3. The Food is Amazing: A lot of our entrepreneurs are great chefs, too! Bend is filled with incredible restaurants and food carts experimenting with a variety of inventive – and delicious – fusion cuisines.
4. Bend is Incredibly Pet Friendly: It’s one of the friendliest cities for dogs in the country. In fact, no matter what pet you have, you’ll find a great community filled with resources and fun activities (plus some seriously great dog parks).
5. It’s the Perfect Place for Outdoor Adventures: Hot in the summer, snowy in the winter, Bend offers outdoor recreation for all kinds. It’s as famous for snowboarding and skiing as it is for bike races and desert hikes.
6. Everything is Accessible: Bend is just the right size to make everything easy to reach without taking too long. The roads and system of roundabouts are designed with winter in mind, featuring plenty of wide lanes and clear directions.
7. There are Multiple Styles of Living: Want to buy a farm and live out on the plains? You can do that in Bend. Want a tiny loft in the middle of the city where you can walk everywhere? No problem. Want a cozy house in a forest community? The city has those, too! Want a spacious estate overlooking the mountains? You’ll find plenty!
8. We Have Awesome Views: It doesn’t matter where you are, there’s always an incredible view of the Cascade mountains, Pilot Butte or other landmarks around Bend that will make every day special.
9. So Many People Are Nice: Bend has created a reputation for being nice. People are known for being welcoming, friendly and (usually) patient. The annoying attitudes that can come from larger cities just haven’t made a mark here, and it really shows.
10. The Cost of Living Isn’t That Bad: This is a common concern, especially when considering a Northwest city like Bend! Fortunately, the cost of living is significantly lower than in the Portland area, and rental prices have started to equalize, so now is a great time look at moving, finding important deals, and planning out your best Bend life!